I am a huge fan of spice and flavor and this dish surprised even me with the punch it packed. This is a spicy pork taco with pickled onion and radishes, topped with marinated arugula. The myriad of flavors that this dish created. I was awed at the infusion of flavors and the nice crunch of the veggies and the nice kick. This one is certainly a keeper and one for the books. Next on the list is the seared black drum with boudin dressing and kale recipe! See the ingredients and directions below. As before, please share and like this recipe if you try it and like it.
These ingredients will make 6 tacos. You can always add in more veggies and use less pork for 8 tacos.
- 1 pack of small soft tortillas
- 1 4 oz can of green chilies
- 2 tsp of diced chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 lb of pork shoulder
- 2 tsp of olive oil
- ½ cup thinly diced onion
- 4-5 small radishes
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp of salt
- ½ tsp coarse black pepper
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 cup of fresh sliced arugula
- 1 cup of diced tomato
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup of sliced onion
- ½ cup of thinly sliced radishes (with a mandolin)
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coarse black pepper
- ½ tsp diced hot peppers
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Add vinegar and brown sugar to a mixing bowl. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Add chopped hot peppers garlic powder, salt and pepper from the pickling list. Reserve 1/4th of a cup of the pickling liquid in a smaller bowl.
- Cut 1 small onion in half and thinly slice one half of the onion; slice radishes on the thinnest setting on a mandolin and place in pickling liquid. (*If you do not have a mandolin, you can try a potato peeler to make thin slices*) Top with foil and place in fridge.
- Take pork shoulder from bone by cutting around the bone if it is not boneless. Pound and tenderize meat until it is 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch thick by placing the meat between parchment paper and hitting the top of the paper-covered meat with a flat pot if you do not have a tenderizer at home. You want the pork thinner to help it cook faster and not be tough. Slice pork into thin, short strips.
- Add 1 tsp olive oil to a pan over medium high heat and add onions once hot. Let onions lightly brown for 2-3 minutes.
- Add pork to the hot skillet with the onions and season with the salt, black and cayenne pepper, onion and garlic powder from the main ingredient list. Let sit for 2 minutes before flipping.
- Open can of green chilies and add the entire can to the pan. Add chopped chipotles and stir. Let cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add water, stir, lower the heat and top the pot. Let cook for another 5-7 minutes and turn off heat.
- Add 1 tsp of olive oil to the vinegar and whisk thoroughly. Add 1/8 tsp salt and pepper. Slice arugula, add to mixture and toss lightly before setting aside
- Slice a medium tomato in half and dice it
- Rub a light coat of water on each side of a tortilla and warm them one at a time in a shallow pan over medium heat for 30 seconds on each side.
- Add a thin layer of pork, tomato, the pickled radishes and onion mixture and the marinated arugula to the middle of the taco shell. Add a tsp of sour cream and swipe along the tortilla as glue to hold it together.