I love to try out new whole grains, especially those that are versatile. Farro definitely makes the cut as a wonderfully nutritious grain that is kind of like a cross between rice and pasta. High in fiber and containing lower levels of gluten, farro is a great option to help lower risk for diseases such as heart disease and inflammatory diseases. To make it even better, Trader Joe’s offers a quick cook option of farro which makes it great as an option for a quick meal during the week. It’s easy enough to change up vegetables and flavor profiles with additions such as chickpeas or chicken, other herbs or a variety of vegetables. And with a cook and prep time of just about 17 minutes, it’s a hard, easy meal to pass up. This is a great meatless Monday option and can easily serve as a side to sautéed or grilled chicken, shrimp or dish. I typically like to make about 2 servings of chicken and shrimp to change things up and add a side salad or roasted vegetables. Check out the recipe below and share your thoughts!
1 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
2 cups frozen spinach
1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
1/2 cup sliced red onion
3 tbsp. feta cheese
1 1/2 cups dry quick cook farro
Juice of 1 lime
2 large cloves of garlic
1/4 cup fresh basil
1/4 cup fresh mint
Pinch of water
- Put a medium pot of water over medium high heat to boil.
- While waiting for water to boil, wipe off excess dirt from mushrooms and slice thinly. Slice about 1/2 or a small red onion and add mushrooms and onion to a skillet with 1 cup of water. Simmer on medium heat. Stir occasionally.
- Add farro to water once boiling and set a timer for 10 minutes. Stir once to prevent sticking. Cook frozen spinach in microwave for 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Quarter about 6 cherry tomatoes and add to a medium bowl. Turn off mushrooms and onion once water evaporates.
- Using a small blender or bullet or ninja device, add sauce ingredients and blend well.
- Strain farro and add in spinach. Stir to help cool the farro and further cook spinach. Add to the bowl with tomatoes. Add in mushrooms and onion, sauce and add feta cheese.
- Serve and enjoy.
3 thoughts on “Discover Farro”
looking tasty !!
Thanks! I hope you give it a try!
sure, i will