I always keep a can or two of beans on hand for a quick lunch or dinner. Most can be jazzed up in multiple ways and this bean dish certainly packs a lot of flavor. Garbanzo beans or chickpeas are a staple in hummus and other Mediterranean and Indian dishes. It is a good source of plant based protein that is also a good source of fiber. Not only is it a great option for a meatless lunch or dinner, but one that can literally be prepared virtually any way.
I decided to make it the star of a salad on a bed of arugula with tomato and cucumber from the farmers market and an egg. The chickpea salad below can be added to a salad or eaten on its own. Check out the recipe below and share your thoughts.
1 14oz can of chickpeas
1 tsp grated turmeric
1 tsp grated garlic
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/8 cup diced yellow onion
1/2 of a juiced lemon
Pinch of salt and pepper
Pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
2 gloves (for turmeric handling)
- Open the can of chickpeas, strain and rinse them. Add to a bowl
- Peel and dice the onion and add to the bowl.
- Rinse and mince parsley and add to the bowl.
- Glove hands (to prevent staining) then peel turmeric and garlic. Grate into bowl.
- Add seasoning and juice the lemon directly into the bowl and mix well.
- Serve over salad greens with diced cucumber, tomato and boiled egg or other protein.