If you are leaning into lower carb options to maintain or gain the summer bod, this loaded cauliflower shepherd’s pie is a definite win.
I find that the summer calls for more salads and lighter meals, but sometimes the body craves something a bit more hearty. This dish was satisfying but doesn’t leave you feeling heavy. I love combining different dishes like a loaded potato, or cauliflower in this case. The crispy bacon, cheese and green onions coupled with the hearty appeal of a nice meaty stew of Shepherd’s pie is a clear win.
Shepherd’s Pie Variations
It’s important to note that Shepherd’s pie is essentially protein on choice that can add in pretty much any veggies preferred.
Traditionally it has peas and carrots, but given their high sugar and carb content, I opted for tomatoes and peppers. Check out my previous post for a more traditional take on Shepherd’s pie.
Check out the recipe below. For an easy-to-follow video, check out my posting on Instagram or TikTok.
Loaded Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Loaded Cauliflower Ingredients:
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 cup sliced yellow onion
- 8 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 oz smoked Gouda
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 strips uncured applewood bacon (or bacon preferred)
- 1/2 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coarse black pepper
Shepperd’s pie ingredients:
- 1 lb 85/15 ground beef
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 1 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup diced bell pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp coarse black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- Dice onion, garlic tomatoes and peppers.
- In a pan over medium heat, add oil and once hot add onion, and garlic. Cook for three minutes until translucent.
- Add ground beef and seasonings and cook through. While that cooks, cut up cauliflower and sliced onion to put in a pot to steam for 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add and tomatoes and peppers to beef mixture. Reduce heat to simmer while cauliflower cooks.
- Turn off heat for beef mixture. Turn off cauliflower and strain excess water.
- Using a hand blender, food processor, or whatever you choose blend cauliflower and onion, until mostly smooth.
- Add in butter and cheese. In a separate skillet, cook bacon.
- In a baking dish, add ground beef in a thin layer. Top with mashed cauliflower and top with bacon. Chop up green onions and add to top.
- Broil for 3-5 minutes u til lightly toasted.