With the Spring season moving in, that also means the beginning of salad season. I am a big fan of all of the different seasonal fruits and vegetables that can be used to make unique and flavorful salads.
Kale is loaded with nutrients and vitamins, like vitamin B6 and vitamin K, and also packed with fiber. And that is why it is one of my favorite go-to foods as the star of a salad. At just 20 calories per cup, kale is absolutely a winner as it is both filling and versatile.
Though kale can be cooked, kale makes a great salad raw, with simply fresh lemon juice and olive or avocado oil. In this salad, I roasted a couple of small sweet potatoes for added nutrients and texture. This salad is also great for loading in seeds like pumpkin or sunflower for added crunch and flavor.
Check out the recipe below and the video through Instagram or TikTok. Be sure to like, subscribe and follow.
- 4 cups of chopped kale
- 2 cups of roasted and diced sweet potato
- 4-6 cloves of minced garlic
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tbsp onion powder
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Greek olives
- Feta cheese
- Rinse and wrap two small sweet potato in foil and bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.
- Rinse kale and remove woody stems before chopping into bite size pieces.
- Finely minced garlic. Cut lemon in half.
- Add kale to a bowl with garlic. Squeeze lemon seeded side up and juice well.
- Add oil and salt and with clean hands, massage into kale well for 2-3 minutes.
- Kale will start to break down. Set aside until potatoes cook. Once done, peel and dice potatoes.
- Add to bowl and add in seasoning before tossing with a spoon.
- Top with protein of choice, Greek olives, tomatoes, seeds and feta cheese if desired.