As a gal on the go, easy meals are a huge win for me. I prepped a nice batch of spicy citrus shrimp to go with roasted rosemary sweet potatoes and greens and also on top of my beloved avocado toast. Check out the recipe below.
Spicy Citrus Shrimp
2 lbs shrimp
1 1/2 tbsp red pepper flake
1 juiced lemon
2 tbsp avocado or olive oil
4 tbsp minced garlic salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and devein shrimp (it defrost if using frozen).
- Peel and mince roughly a head of garlic.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Once hot, add garlic and red pepper flake. Sauté for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp and sear for 2 minutes on one side. Juice half a lemon season side up.
- Flip them gently and juice the other half of lemon. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cook for an addition 2 minutes and remove from heat.
- Enjoy with avocado toast or beside a carb and vegetable of your choice.
Shrimp and okra is a Southern Classic and a childhood favorite! With the random cold front, I was in the mood for something comforting. Though it’s early yet for farm fresh okra, I grabbed a pound of frozen okra from the produce stand to complement the Anna Marie Seafood shrimp I had from my local farmers market. My rule of thumb is pretty much a pound of each main ingredient: okra, shrimp and sausage. You can play with fresh stewed tomatoes from the market or use these quick tips for a quicker dish. This takes 30-45 minutes to make depending on the cook time or your okra, as some can be more slimy than others. Check out these tips below and enjoy!
1 lb peeled and deveined shrimp
1 lb sausage
1 lb chopped okra (16oz)
1 14oz can stewed or diced tomato
1 14oz can tomato sauce
3 tbsp. fresh or dried Italian seasoning (thyme, rosemary, parsley, oregano blends)
1 tsp. cayenne
2 cups chopped onion
6 cloves garlic
4 cups water
- Add chopped onion to a large pot over medium heat. Add chopped okra and 2 cups of water. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Slice sausage. Peel and mince or press garlic cloves and add garlic and sausage to the pot.
- Add seasoning, remaining water, tomatoes and sauce. Cook for 12-15 minutes.
- Add shrimp and additional water if needed. Let cook for another 5-7 minutes.
- Serve over rice or stand alone.
Ever ignore the strange pear-shaped green vegetable at the produce stand? Mirliton or coyote squash is easy to transform into a dish everyone will love. Mirliton dressing with seafood and ham is one of my favorites and is an easy dish to cook in larger quantities for the week. In addition to dressing, it can also be pickled, sliced thin for stir fry and curried among many other uses. I used the whole vegetable, skin and all for added nutrients. They are out in abundance and an easy win to add to your shopping list. For the protein, I like ham and shrimp; however it is easy to substitute ground meat or ground chicken for the ham if you do not eat those meats. I did make my own bread crumbs for this dish and will include that recipe below. Certainly your favorite brand will work in this dish as well. Check out the recipe below and share your thoughts.
1/2 lb shrimp
8oz diced ham
1 cup diced onion
1 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
2 cups of kale *optional (I added it because I had it)
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
4-6 slices of wheat bread (depends on size)
1/2 cup dry oats
2 tbsp of flax seed
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Rinse mirliton and boil in a pot over high heat for 30 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes of boiling, toast bread, then grind it, the oats and the flaxseed in a food processor, blender or other device. Place in a baking dish and add seasoning and 2 tsp of olive oil. Mix well and brown in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Strain mirliton, rinse in cool water and let cool for 15-20 minutes. While the mirliton cools, rinse and chop kale small. Dice onion and sauté both in 1 tsp. oil.
- Peel shrimp and chop before adding to skillet and cooking.
- Dice ham and add to skillet. Reduce heat. Remove breadcrumbs from oven
- Chop mirliton small and add to the skillet. Add seasoning and mix well. Add in breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and bake for 10-15 minutes until top is lightly browned.