Every now and then, I get in the mood for some good, crispy fried chicken. I am a firm believer in a weekly cheat day, though with the way I make these wings, I have no guilt and thoroughly enjoy them a variety of accompaniments. I’ve been on a craze for the Trader Joe’s plantain crisps which I find to be absolutely wonderful beside the crispy chicken. I also love a good side salad. and in this case, I topped it with some homemade Sauerkraut (yes, I am still a big fan of homemade probiotics!).
While the good ‘ole southern way of deep fried chicken is tasty, I like to keep the flavor and the crisp, and reduce the fat with my beloved air fryer. I also trade the bleached flour for it’s whole wheat cousin to consume as many nutrients as possible. It gets the chicken crispy either way. Check out the recipe below and let me know your thoughts! P.S. Has anyone perfected crispy oven fried chicken? It’s always good to have a backup to the air fryer. 🙂
3 tbsp whole wheat flour (white works too)
5-6 wing drumettes or 3 whole wings
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp onion powder
1/2 tbsp course black pepper
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp oil in an oil mister
- Add flour to a medium sized Ziploc bag with half the onion and garlic powder and salt. Add all of the cayenne and mix the mixture with a fork or spoon
- Either on a paper towel or separate Ziploc season the raw chicken with the remaining seasoning.
- Add the first wing, seal the bag and give it a shake to evenly coat the chicken. Add it to the air fryer.
- Repeat with remaining chicken. Then spray with a light coat of oil.
- Cook on 380 degrees for 10 minutes
- Flip, spray a light coat of oil and cook for another 10 minutes.