This dish started out as black beans and cilantro-lime rice and turned into my version of a chipotle bowl. Because it can be topped so many ways, this is certainly a dish I can repurpose many ways this week. The black beans in this dish can be either dried or canned. If you do make them dried, you will need 16 oz of dried beans, 8 cups of water, the same amount of peppers and double the remaining ingredients. I would also recommend making them on Saturday or the night before the beans will be used. I love Mexican-themed food and this is an easy one to make to please any crowd. Below are the ingredients for the chicken, beans and rice with the toppings I used. You can always add cheese, lettuce or any rich greens and green onion if preferred. Check out the recipe and share your thoughts!
Black beans ingredients:
1/2 cup cooked black beans per bowl
2 seeded and diced Serrano peppers
1 seeded and diced jalepeno pepper
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. sea salt
1 tsp. coarse black pepper
1 cup of water
1 cup of rice 1/2 cup per bowl
1 tbsp. fresh cilantro
1 2/3 cup of water
1 juiced lime (about 1/8 cup)
4 to 6 chicken thighs (approx. 1 per bowl depending on size)
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 cup sliced sweet peppers
1 cup sliced yellow onion
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup diced tomato
2 tbsp. salsa per bowl
1/4 cup diced tomato per bowl
1/2 tbsp. sour cream per bowl
1/2 tbsp. sea salt
1/2 tbsp. coarse black pepper
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. smoked paprika (optional)
2-3 slices of avocado dressed with lime
1. In a small pot, rinse rice. You will need 1 1/2 cups of liquid so with the lime juice, add the remaining amount of water. Bring to a boil, then top and reduce to low heat for 20 minutes.
2. If cooking canner black beans, rinse and add to a medium-sized pot. With gloved hands, slice and dice the jalepeno and Serrano peppers. Add seasonings and simmer over low heat.
3. Add coconut oil over medium heat to a medium-sized skillet. While the oil heats, rinse chicken and add half of the seasoning. Add to pan and sear for 3 minutes.
4. While chicken cooks, rinse and slice sweet peppers and slice onion. Add the the remaining seasoning to the chicken and flip to cook on the other side for 3 minutes.
5. Add peppers and onions and 1/2 cup of water and move chicken on top of vegetables. Let cook for 8-12 minutes.
6. Turn off heat and add rice, then beans, chicken and vegetables and toppings preferred.