I was in the mood for some smothered pork chops and found some some beautiful French cut chops that fit the bill. A traditional southern preparation, smothered dishes pack flavor and comfort.
Different Types of Chops
Pork chops are the beef steaks of pork and come in various cuts which impact flavor and cooking time. Also, there are four major cuts of pork chops: shoulder/blade, rib, loin and sirloin chops. The rib and loin chops are the best cuts for quick cooking that will deliver good flavor and remain moist.
Smothered chops inherently have added moisture with the addition of a gravy and additions like onions, garlic and mushrooms. Additionally, this is great served over rice or mashed potatoes with the veggie of your choice.
Check out the recipe below and the video walkthrough on Instagram or TikTok. Like, share and follow for more video content that doesn’t make it to posts. And as always, share your thoughts and comments.
- 2 French Cut Pork Chops
- 1 large onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp all purpose or while wheat flour
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp coarse black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- Put a medium pan over medium heat and add avocado oil.
- While the oil heats, season chops with salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder. Place seasoned side down in the pan and season other side.
- Cook for three minutes before flipping. While cooking, thinly slice an onion, optional garlic and mushrooms. (if just starting to cook, sliced onions, and mushrooms, before starting to cook the pork to avoid burning.)
- Remove chops from the pan and set aside. Add flour to pan drippings and stir to brown.
- Let brown (1-2 minutes) fully before adding chicken stock to deglaze pan. Add in onions and mushrooms and season well.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes before adding in pork chops. Coat chops and mushrooms and onions, educe heat and let’s simmer for 3-5 minutes.
- Serve with sides of choice.