With the progression of winter storms, that means sometimes the grocery stores are just clean out of things. Finding inspiration from the pantry becomes key and so I keep a few essentials on hand so that I always have something to make.
Dried beans, lentils or canned
Broth (chicken, beef or vegetable)
In this case, I had green lentils, chicken stock and one link of sausage in the freezer that I thought would come together nicely with kale for a bean-like lentil dish. This is definitely one I will make again and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. For a quick video on how I made the dish, like and follow on Instagram.
1/2 lb green lentils
1 cup diced onion
3 cups chicken broth
2 cups of water
1/4 lb sausage
2 cups shredded kale
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp red pepper flakes
2-3 dried bay leaves
- Dice a small yellow onion and add to a medium pot over medium heat.
- Add in lentils, 2 cups of stock, one cup of water and all of the seasonings.
- Top and bring to a boil. While it begins to boil, chop up sausage and add to pot. (Remove casing if it’s not smoked.)
- Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, then add kale, remaining stock and water. (Feel free to sprinkle in a little extra onion, garlic powder and salt to season the kale.)
- Let cook for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Enjoy with or without rice.