Ever ignore the strange pear-shaped green vegetable at the produce stand? Mirliton or coyote squash is easy to transform into a dish everyone will love. Mirliton dressing with seafood and ham is one of my favorites and is an easy dish to cook in larger quantities for the week. In addition to dressing, it can also be pickled, sliced thin for stir fry and curried among many other uses. I used the whole vegetable, skin and all for added nutrients. They are out in abundance and an easy win to add to your shopping list. For the protein, I like ham and shrimp; however it is easy to substitute ground meat or ground chicken for the ham if you do not eat those meats. I did make my own bread crumbs for this dish and will include that recipe below. Certainly your favorite brand will work in this dish as well. Check out the recipe below and share your thoughts.
1/2 lb shrimp
8oz diced ham
1 cup diced onion
1 tbsp. olive or avocado oil
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
2 cups of kale *optional (I added it because I had it)
1 tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp cayenne
Salt and pepper to taste
4-6 slices of wheat bread (depends on size)
1/2 cup dry oats
2 tbsp of flax seed
1 tbsp Italian seasoning
Pinch of salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Rinse mirliton and boil in a pot over high heat for 30 minutes.
- In the last 10 minutes of boiling, toast bread, then grind it, the oats and the flaxseed in a food processor, blender or other device. Place in a baking dish and add seasoning and 2 tsp of olive oil. Mix well and brown in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Strain mirliton, rinse in cool water and let cool for 15-20 minutes. While the mirliton cools, rinse and chop kale small. Dice onion and sauté both in 1 tsp. oil.
- Peel shrimp and chop before adding to skillet and cooking.
- Dice ham and add to skillet. Reduce heat. Remove breadcrumbs from oven
- Chop mirliton small and add to the skillet. Add seasoning and mix well. Add in breadcrumbs and mix well.
- Pour mixture into baking dish and bake for 10-15 minutes until top is lightly browned.
1 thought on “Mirliton Dressing”
Mirliton! Can’t wait till spring! The local guys will have them soon! Ironic that crawfish season is mirliton season in Louisiana because the 2 were made for each other. Just the way you describe to cook it!