A little help from the store can go a long way to making quick work of dinner. I’m a big fan of portioned proteins for easy freezer storage and easier use for making the right number of portions at a given time. This shrimp and kale dish was elevated with a simple sauce using onion, garlic, a little stock and a roasted eggplant and tomato spread from Trader Joe’s. The spread while low in calories, was packed with flavor that easily added to this quick dish. This took 10 minutes to make and additionally, I made enough to freeze. You can always double this portion for a family of 4 or to have additional portions to freeze for easy meals during a busy week. Check out the recipe below.
1/2 lb of shrimp
2 cups fresh kale
1/2 cup of fresh mushrooms sliced
1/2 cup of onion
1/4 cup of chicken or seafood stock
1/4 cup of eggplant spread
1/2 tbsp avocado oil (or olive)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch of water
- Rinse and kale and add to a skillet with a pinch of water over medium heat. Add onion and stir.
- Slice mushrooms while kale cooks and add mushrooms to the pan. Season and reserve a little of the powders for the shrimp. Cook for 3-5 mins.
- Add the eggplant spread and stir in. Add stock to deglaze the pan. Cook for 2 minutes and add to a plate.
- Add oil and let it warm. Add shrimp and seasoning and cook for 2.5 minutes before flipping and cooking for the same time.
- Top greens mixture and enjoy.