I can’t say enough how much I love a dish that incorporates lots of vegetables. For some reason, tomato sauce is always a great vehicle for roasted vegetables and will basically go with any ground meat of choice for this version. I used a combination of ground turkey and hot Italian pork sausage.
While this dish takes longer than my preferred 20 to 30 minutes, it is well worth it in the end. It is still easy to do with most of the time being to roast vegetables. And that cook time can be used to do other things to start your week off as you need. The spicy and comforting dishes sure to please.
Variations of moussaka
Moussaka can be made vegetarian, a meat, lovers, dream, or a great combination of both. If vegetarian, it’s easy to add in many different vegetables although the base mix is eggplant, zucchini, and squash, you could also add in peppers, onions and garlic for added flavor and nutrients. Furthermore, this dish is flexible with any preferred protein.
Check out the recipe below. For a video walk-through visit, TikTok or Instagram. And as always share your thoughts and comments, and be sure to like and subscribe and follow.
- 2 cups slice zucchini
- 3 cups sliced eggplant
- 1 1/2 cup slice yellow squash
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 1/2 tbsp. avocado oil
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 tbsp. onion powder
- 2 tbsp, garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. coarse, black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. sea salt
- 1 14oz can diced tomatoes no salt added
- 1 8oz can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 large onion, diced
Mashed potatoes ingredients:
- 2 lbs potatoes
- 3 tbsp. no salt butter
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- Preheat oven to 350°. Slice squash, zucchini, and eggplant and add to a foil lined baking sheet. Peel and in cloves of garlic.
- Drizzle in avocado oil and mix with a spoon or by hand. Lightly seasoned with onion and garlic powder salt and pepper. Bake for 75 minutes.
- In last 30 minutes of baking, bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Cube potatoes, and then slice a half of onion and add to water to boil.
- Dice onion, and add to a large pot. Add in ground, turkey and sausage removing the sausage from the skins. Stir in remaining seasoning and mix well.
- Remove vegetables from oven. After meat is browned, add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, chicken broth and vegetables to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Strain potatoes, and mashed potatoes and onion with butter, salt and pepper. Add a splash of milk if needed.
- Place meat sauce to a oven, safe dish and a thick layer, then top with mashed potatoes and smooth until even
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until brown.