I’ve mentioned my love of kale and mushrooms in other post and thought it only fitting to cover the basics in a separate post. I like having easy meatless Monday (or any other day) options on the table as I try to be thoughtful about the volume of meat I consume. Not to mention, veggie-forward meals can be quite filling and can be more wallet-friendly as we all find ourselves more cost conscious these days. This dish is all about getting great color and flavor infused into every layer of the cooking process. Check out the recipe below. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
- 1 lb of kale (pre shredded or whole)
- 12 oz-16oz of whole cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tsp fermented black garlic (optional Trader Joe’s)
- 1/2 tbsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coarse black pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1. Slice mushrooms into large chunks. (Cutting into fourths for smaller and 6 pieces for larger recommended. If using whole leaf kale, stack 3-4 leaves at a time and cut thinly into ribbons.
- 2. Add mushrooms to a large pan over medium heat. As they began to sizzle add half of the seasoning and stir well.
- 3. Add 1/2 the water and let simmer. For 5-7 minutes. Once water evaporates, start adding kale.
4. Pour in half the oil and fold in to wilt kale. Add in more kale and remaining oil and seasoning. Fold in well.
- 5. Add in remaining water and reduce heat. Let simmer and stir occasionally for 5 minutes.
- 6. Plate and enjoy.