It’s that time of year again for strawberry season! I cannot get enough of this local, flavorful fruit and the opportunities to make new inspired creations. This past Saturday, I shared one such dish with a shrimp avocado and strawberry salad. Traditionally for such salads, I’ve added other seafood like crab and fruit such as mango. I decided to make a version using fresh strawberries from the Frank Fekete Farm, seafood from Anna Marie Shrimp and local microgreens from Westdome Nursery. The trick is to balance the sweet with savory additions like fresh garlic and herbs in the dressing. This tasty dish was well received and one that I’ve already made again. Check out the recipe below.
Shrimp, Avocado and Strawberry Salad
1-1.5 lb(s). peeled and deveined shrimp
2 cups of chopped strawberries
3 cups of microgreens (Can also mix in salad greens)
2 large avocadoes
2 tbsp. chopped green onion
3 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp. local honey
4 tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. Red Stick Spice garlic and herb (no salt)
1 tbsp. Red Stick Spice Roasted Onion granules
Pinch of Red Stick spice aged balsamic vinegar sea salt (or reg sea salt)
- Peel and devein shrimp and set aside. Heat a large, non-stick skillet over medium heat.
- Add 2 tsp of each seasoning (minus salt) to shrimp and add to a hot skillet. Add a splash of water and sear for 3 minutes on both sides before removing from heat.
- In a medium serving bowl add vinegar and honey and mix until well blended. Add in oil. Peel and press garlic in. If you do not have a garlic press, mince finely, then add to the bowl. Add in remaining seasoning. Mix well.
- Rinse and chop 2 cups worth of strawberries. Add to the bowl. Cut the avocado in half then score each half into bite-sized pieces before scooping into the bowl.
- You can chop shrimp or leave whole and add to the bowl. Rinse and chop green onion then add to the bowl.
- Add in micro greens and optional salad greens. You can also add in fresh herbs like parsley for an added layer of flavor. Mix well, serve and enjoy.